Tuesday, April 15, 2014

BrainDead


Yeah, I don't know what that quote means either. It was the first one that popped up when I googled 'comparison quote.' I'm sure the quote makes perfect sense, but I'm so far past exhausted that my brain can't comprehend it at all.

Friends, my new child may be 6 years old, but age means nothing when it comes to adoption. It's almost like adding a newborn to the house... with a few minor differences.

Newborn comes home to a place you have been preparing for the past 9 months. Furniture is set up. Clothing is purchased (if sex is known).  Showers may have already taken place. Parents know they're in for a potential of a serious lack of sleep over the next few months. Words of advice come from everyone. There are weeks of just getting into a routine and getting to know each other. There is a long period of time when this little one can't talk back, be purposefully disrespectful or disobedient, get into every drawer... or move from the spot they were last left.

Older adopted child comes home to a place that's been sort of prepared to the best knowledge of the adoptive parent... who hasn't had much notice. Clothing and shoe sizes are an absolute surprise. As is what possessions they already have. Parents know there is a potential for some minor sleep disturbances- and are then surprised by the lack of sleep that happens because no one knows how this new child will sleep. The child comes into the home from past experiences with different rules, different foods, different expectations, different everything. It takes weeks of getting into a routine and getting to know each other. There is NO period of time in which this child cannot talk back, be purposefully disrespectful, get into every drawer, hide from the parents... or purposefully fart on the laps of whomever is holding him (and then laugh uncontrollably.) Instead of just teaching new "tricks", families spend a great deal of time trying to replace the old "tricks" with those that are more socially acceptable.

I'm so tired. It's all worth it. It's what I prayed for. I wouldn't change any of it. But I'm so tired. My brain is "on" all the time. I think I've reached my quota of decisions this week.

He's amazing. I love him. Even when he purposefully farts on my lap. He's perfect for our family. And it's hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment